Saturday 24 November 2012

Slipcovered lamp shades

I have been using this method to change my lampshades for a while now, and thought I’d share how I do it.  The beauty of creating a slip cover rather than gluing on the fabric, is that it’s so easy to change when you are ready.

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

I bought a curtain in the clearance section at Home Sense for $10

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

The shades are not drum shaped, they are slightly tapered at the top. I placed the shade on some kraft paper and traced it to create my pattern.

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

I cut it out 1/2” bigger all around to allow for seam allowance.  I then traced it on to my fabric and cut them out. 

Turn the top and bottom edges over 1/2” and iron, then sew.

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

Right side facing in, wrap the fabric around the shade, brining the ends together, then pin down the length of the fabric.

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

Remove the slipcover and sew down the edge that you marked with your pins.

Turn it right side out matching your seam to the seam on the shade,  and slip it over.

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

That’s it. Easy to do and easy to change.

Before

Lampshade slip cover tutorial
After

Lampshade slip cover tutorial

Saturday SevenUndertheTableandDreaming

25 comments:

  1. I would have thought that there would be elastic involved but this is so much easier and a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all the colors you have in there! looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of lampshade slipcover! So cool! I love that fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is genius! So clever Mel, and I never would have thought to look for a lamp shade in the shower curtain section. I am so impressed!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pattern with your living room decor! Looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea Mel! I love this and need to implement it for a couple of my lamp shades. I have also been thinking of making slip covers with elastic for my covered seat cushions for the chairs at the kitchen counter.

    You continue to inspire me to do beautiful things on a dime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I have been having a terrible time finding a shade for a vintage glass lamp that I bought recently. Now I know that I don't have to worry about the pattern just that it's the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative. And I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my stars... cute cute cute and easy enough!! love the fabric ~ repurposed! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are lovely lamp shades. I love your style. Thanks for sharing.

    FenchelShades.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's the kind of redoing project I love. You make it look pretty simple and straight forward so I'm going to have to try that. Wish I could find fabric like yours, the colors are great for my l/r. So glad you shared this project.
    I'm a new subscriber, forget now where I came over from. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is genius! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you can't wait to start making
    I always change the color of my living room and boy this will save money Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea !!! I have a bunch of pretty scarves that I got at the $1 store and I'd like to cover or gently them hang them on my lamp shades, but I don't want to use glue or anything permanent.....any thoughts ?? Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome idea.. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, what did you measure before sewing down the length of the fabric?
    Many thanks Ana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this great idea.I will give this a try.your lamps look lovely.

    ReplyDelete