Tuesday 11 March 2014

Bookcase Railing DIY

I have had dreams of removing my ugly wrought iron railing in my dining room for eons. I knew what I wanted, but had no clue how to go about getting it done. That is until I read a post by Carol at Elephant Buffet!

Using her simple method, I was ensured that this would be solid and never move, even if sat upon, but why would anyone do that?   I have left it open to allow the light to pass through. It does make my small dining room appear smaller, but that’s the price I had to pay to realize my dream.

It is primed and ready for paint. The build itself took me a couple of weekends. I tend to move a little slower these days. Menopause sucks, ladies! take it from me.

 

 

DSC01235

I used mdf because it was more affordable. I found the most amazing guy at Rona that cut everything down for me without a whimper, unlike the guys at HD who refuse to cut anything smaller than 7” in width. Pffttt to you HD!

DSCN5060

My entire house was topsy turvy for 2 weeks. I don’t understand how working in one room makes the entire house a mess?

DSCN5065

It was caulked and the nail holes were filled with wood filler. Painting underneath is so frickin hard, probably why it’s still not completed. Maybe tonight.

DSC01234

A huge thank you to Carol, for posting her method and for the great advice (some of which I didn’t take, like painting before adding the shelves). Next up is installing the new flooring. At least I was smart enough to remove the old flooring before the install of this. LOL

3 comments:

  1. That looks stunning!! So beautiful. And if you move slow.....i must be a slug. You are amazing and talented. Cant wait to see the flooring. Joy in Barrie

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks have been given the opportunity to comment. Hopefully what you provided is useful for all those who need them. Visit my website if you want to know more about.

    If you are looking for Perfect Money Apk, then Perfect Money Apk 2021 Latest Version is one of the best website. You must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be using this as a railing to go around our old sunken livingroom from the 70s.

    ReplyDelete