Friday 17 May 2013

Weathered wood planked backsplash

The backsplash is done! A huge thank you to Debbie at Me and My DIY, who inspired me with her amazing planked wall and then she wrote an awesome tutorial on how to achieve the look!  You can find the tutorial here.

Weathered wood plank backsplash at Junkin Junky

What I was trying to achieve was a transition between the white cupboards and the dark wood floor.

Following Debbie’s tutorial, I first stained the planks in American walnut.

Weathered wood plank backsplash at Junkin Junky

I used a brush but found that I didn't have a lot of control of how heavy the stain was, so for the pickled white wash stain, I decided to use a lint free cloth. It was a whole lot easier to layer the wash over top. Then I used the brush to add another layer to make it look like the wood had naturally aged over many sunny days.

Weathered wood plank backsplash at Junkin Junky

The planks are not perfect and I had to deal with uneven walls, so getting the first row straight was impossible. I used my brad nailer to put the planks up and didn't  bother to fill the nail holes in, but that just adds to it’s character, right? *smile*

Next I did two coats of Minwax Polyacrylic to protect the wood, especially since this is a kitchen and it’s bound to get messy.

Weathered wood plank backsplash at Junkin Junky

Next to do is caulking between the counter and backsplash. I am in the home stretch with my kitchen reno with only some touch up painting to do.

This is a long weekend here in Canada and I’m a little busy, but I hope to get some work done for the final reveal. My sister is coming to stay with me for the weekend, maybe I can convince her to help me paint :)

Weathered wood plank backsplash at Junkin Junky

Sharing this project at

Remodelaholic Anonymous Party
Show & Tell Saturday at Be Differnet...Act Normal
Saturday Spotlight at Classy Clutter
That DIY party at DIY Showoff
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Give me the goods Monday party

24 comments:

  1. That looks amazing Mel! You're so good!!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me? You're done with that backsplash already?!? It looks fantastic Mel! Can I hire you to come down here and finish my son's room for me? You'd have it done in no time, I'm sure! Your kitchen has come such a long way, and you deserve a huge pat on the back for doing all the work yourself. Can't wait to see the final reveal! And thanks for the shout out! :)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This looks fantastic!
    I was every day await for the reveal, and I love it!
    Thank you for sharing;)
    Love and hugs
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks AMAZING!!!!! oh my gosh! you must want to just stay in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! Great job looks fabulous. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly don't fool around! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen is beautiful. You did a wonderful job. I absolutely love your backsplash! I am now heading over Debbie's blog to check hers out! Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, that looks so flippin good. Great call on whitewashing...it gives it a "cottage clean" vibe. I know you are enjoying this beautiful kitchen. All your hard work paid off in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the weathered treatment looks awesome! i did the same thing on my diy farmhouse table and always get soo many compliments! what a great idea for a backsplash

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Very Cool! We made a plank wood wall in our kitchen too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out so great! I love the white wash, that totally makes it. Your kitchen is going to be so amazing when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I LOVE this!!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS: I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 4 blogs}
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-party-9.html
    Have a great week!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this look! I think the uneven walls lend to the overall industrial look ~ awesome!
    I'm visiting you today from Uncommon Slice of Suburbia. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (opens at Midnight Mon). I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, Mel! What a beautiful transformation! It really changed your entire kitchen! I love it! I'm including a link back in this week's DIY highlights. ;) Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! Do you mind sharing how you finished the ends (where the lower cabinets end)??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! What's the color on your walls?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Billions of pallets are used globally for a variety of manufacturing, storage, industrial and business uses. They are used in transportation to move materials and goods and also used as storage facilities in warehouses and large commercial plants and premises. Los Angeles Pallets

    ReplyDelete