Sunday 17 July 2011

DIY savings bank


while trolling on Pinterest, I saw this Dream Bank at Uncommon Goods and immediately scrounged through my stash to find a shadow box.

By the time school starts in September, my daughter hopes to have saved enough to buy herself a laptop.
I had this shadow box that I picked up a while ago for a few bucks.

003
I unscrewed the teeny tiny screws at the back with a screwdriver used for eyeglasses. Drilled a slit across the top to insert the money and used some pretty scrapbook paper to line it.

It won’t be easy for her to get her money out, which will hopefully encourage her to continue saving.

009

005

I’m going to keep my eye out for more of these. They will make a great gift for any one, whatever their dream is.



CSS Logo post small

15 comments:

  1. This is awesome and something I am definately going to try and keep in mind next time I am at a thrift store! Thanks for sharing!

    Love your blog1

    Visiting from http://prettylilpieces.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your site is filled with such awesome ideas! I really enjoyed reading some of them today and will be back later to spend more time looking through the rest. Your home is very beautifully decorated. I am glad I found your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea, I like that you can see the money and it makes you want to put more in towards the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea...going to make one for my daughter who is saving for a puppy. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Great idea!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. Thank you for coming by to see the House of Cloche's hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea! Don't you love uncommon goods?? Yours is even prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful project! so nice to "meet" you and hope you'll be back with some of your grown up projects too! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so clever. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be looking for an inexpensive shadow box now. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty! I'm going to be on the lookout for shadowboxes now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it! I'm on a tight budget and always on the look out for gifts to make for my college-age daughters for Christmas -- this is SO on my list now! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am visiting via Someday Crafts. This is an absolutely adorable project!

    If you have written a post about a great restaurant, store or perhaps taken a fun trip I am now hosting a new linky party entitled Wayfaring Wednesdays. Come on by!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun idea! love the little makeover, it is definitely inspiring to save!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete