Friday 3 December 2010

Christmas gifts–family name signs

I wanted to make something for family and friends that wouldn’t break the bank this year. I decided to make some family name signs; a personalized hand-made gift, just perfect.

I bought a 24” x 48” piece of poplar and had the grumpy man at HD cut it for me. I am able to make 6 signs with the one piece. I chose poplar because it’s lightweight and smooth.

I gave each piece a couple of coats of a creamy white BM paint that I got for free from the recycle centre.  I distressed all of the edges, cut out the vinyl and attached it.

So far I’ve made two, with 4 more to go. (Lainey, look no further or you will spoil your surprise)

By the time I purchased the vinyl and the wood, each sign cost me about $2.

003

 

002
Joining in on...

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Photobucket
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mel! Well I should have known I would nOT be disappointed coming over here. These signs are fantastic, and sure to be a hit this year. THey are special, unique and very thoughtful. Happy Holidays. I did not know if you knew I was off my break:) I could not stay away that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute idea! I need to go get that grumpy old man to cut me some lumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel. Did you use a Cricut on these?

    ReplyDelete