Sunday 10 June 2012

DIY chalk paint–my experience

My sister asked me to make her a storage box out of a cutlery box, as I did for myself. Since it was a small project, I thought it was the perfect time to try making chalk paint.  I am going to share how I did it, and what my thoughts are on the whole hoopla :)
Cutlery chest becomes pretty storage solution at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com
I started with a cutlery box that I bought at the Goodwill on 50% off day, so it was $4.04. There was a small crack at the front, but nothing that some wood filler couldn’t fix.
DSCN3466
I used some grey paint that I had on hand and followed the instructions posted on Alchemy Fine Living. I had read of other tutorials to make your own chalk paint that used plaster of paris, and I tried it but it was a miserable failure. These instructions said to use baking soda!  Huh.
I mixed 1/3 c. baking soda to 2/3 c. paint. mixing BM silver fox with a little bit of cottage white. So basically a 1:3 ratio, but don’t quote me on that, as math is not my strong suite. The final paint colour was almost white and I wonder if the baking soda was responsible for turning the grey, white?
DSCN3467
I mixed it really well, and it didn’t take much effort to make it smooth.  This stuff is thick!  I held my breath and went for it, what did I have to loose?
DSCN3471
This is the first coat. It went on pretty grainy, but I knew that it would be sanded back.  One issue that I found was that if you are not careful, the edges where your brush stops can get pretty built up with paint.  I sanded it back once it dried pretty ferociously, and there are still some areas with build up.  It’s probably because it’s so thick, added to that the fact that I’m a pretty lousy painter :)
This is after two coats, then some distressing.  It did sand back pretty smooth. I then used two darker shades of grey for the stripes and the laurel.
DSCN3478
I replaced the knobs with something a little more feminine, although they are a little on the big side for this piece.
Overall, I liked the chalk paint, but with the amount of sanding I had to do, I could have just as easily primed and painted this small piece with regular paint. I can see its appeal if you are working on a large piece of furniture, as you will avoid the pre-sanding and priming.
Cutlery chest becomes pretty storage solution at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com
The one I made for myself can be found here
Cutlery chest becomes pretty storage solution at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com
I’m sharing at
Making Monday Marvelous on C.R.A.F.T.UndertheTableandDreaming
DIY Show Off

23 comments:

  1. I have a small sample of the chalk paint by AS, but I havn't used it yet. Good advice and beautiful box. Love the stripe and the laurel. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cool, I love the laurel! I kind of feel the same way about regular chalk paint. With all the sanding afterward and waxing, you might as well have sanded and primed first - it's the same amount of work, really. But I do like the way it sands and I think the end result is smoother with less brush marks. I'll probably keep using both, but maybe I'll have to give the baking soda paint a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the box!! Looks wonderful. I've used the ASCP- way over rated. I've been making my own with the baking soda too. Love that its so cheap and easy to use. I haven't noticed it lightening the color, but than again I've mostly used it with a cream colored paint.
    Your sister is going to love the box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute!!! i've tried the plaster of paris method...never heard of baking soda! maybe next time i'll try that. thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pattern you added to the case! I have one I'm planning on painting and appreciate the inspiration! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. BAKING SODA??!! Wow, guess we'll try anything eh? Love the end result. It is absolutely gorgeous!! Great job Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both boxes turned out great! I may be set in my ways but chalk paint doesn't cut down any work - so much sanding!

    P.S. The sign that I made with your Sac du Moulin stencil sold immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made some chalk paint with unsanded grout, but have only used it in very small amounts. Still want to try a piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of these days I'm going to have to try this!! Your box came out so nice! Love the look of the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used the plaster of paris recipe and did an end table from GW, it was gritty but when it dried it came out pretty smooth, I'd love to try the one with the baking soda. Love your box and I know she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the box! I'm going to have to go look for one of these at the thrift store now. :) Interesting about the baking soda. I keep wanting to paint some furniture pieces with chalk paint- but what a great idea to "try it out" on something small- silly me, I didn't think about that! :) I hope you'll stop by sometime.
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea for that box...I love it! I tried the plaster of paris recipe and it was a big fat fail. I just bought some gray chalk paint because I love the white and gray combo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it!! I totally need one of these, in either style. Thanks for the inspiration.

    I've made my own chalky paint and also used Annie Sloan. They're very different animals when it comes to application and sanding. But the final look is similar. I make my own when I want the look of chalk paint, but due to the latex in it, it won't bond or distress the same at ASCP.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bee-you-tee-ful! I know your sister just loves it! You are one talented gal, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think both boxes look great. I used the plaster of paris and even though the paint looked a little grainy, it still went on smooth. And the way it covered stain and allowed for sanding and distressing without peeling like latex tends to peel, I was pretty happy with it. But now that I've seen what the baking soda idea can do, I might try that. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful makeover of this old box! Love the colors you chose, the stripes and the laurel. Very pretty outcome!

    visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesday : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job on the boxes, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to try chalk paint - thanks for this tip! I love how your boxes turned out, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I'm going to look for one of those boxes! I love the two designs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got one of those boxes recently that is terribly scratched and worn. This is a wonderful way to revive it. Thanks for the example.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love how you've transformed these silverware boxes and love the chalk paint inside info. I have yet to try it but I'm more prepared now when I do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Boxes are gorgeous! Just a small not on making your own chalk paint with the plaster of paris - you MUST use a FLAT paint, any paint with a sheen makes the mixture congeal ON CONTACT and actually thickens as you add water...not good. When you get the recipe right (1 part pop : 3 parts flat paint) homemade chalk paint is nearly identical to ASCP...I just finished a piece of furniture using 2 homemade paints and one ASCP - and you can not tell the difference. They go on smooth and distress beautifully...So, don't give up on the homemade stuff yet!! Mix 1/4 a cup plaster with roughly 2 tbspns hot water, and THEN add to paint...you want your plaster to be just thin enough to run out of the cup slowly...Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete